We strongly believe in operating under a social license; communities that live around mines have been there before us and will remain after we go. We've established a Community Relations and Environmental Office to make sure we do things the right way. Placed under the direct supervision of the company’s Vice President for Administration, CREMO will ensure that environmental and social programmes are carried out consistently, effectively and in full consultation with local communities, throughout all of our operations in the Philippines.
In order to remain flexible and responsive to communities’ needs, rather than institute one or two high-profile schemes as a box-ticking exercise, CREMO initiated an ongoing process of consultation and response. After several years of successful interaction and work with local communities, the CMDC team then prepared the current two-year community development plan (CDP), which covers the 2012-14 period.
In order to ensure synergy with government development efforts the CDP is designed taking Barangay development and investment plans into consideration.
Over 30 interventions have been planned and budgeted, 10% of which are in information, education and communication (IEC) for public awareness and understanding of responsible mining and geosciences, in accordance with the 1995 Mining Act. The remaining 90% is spread across physical development interventions in five areas of prioritized social development: health, livelihood, education, capacity building and infrastructural support.
Crescent Mining & Development Corporation